TEXTURED CHIC Hair for Summer
“It’s all about the texture!”, says celebrity hairstylist Gui Schoedler. And who better than a native Brazillian, (now based in Beverly Hills), to teach us a thing or two about hair texture for hot weather. He adds, “If you take a little time to lay a foundation of great texture, you can easily create styles that look effortlessly chic with minimal tools and products”.
Gui takes through the steps of creating four styles, perfect for summer’s heat and humidity and we pair them with fool-proof, multi-tasking make up products for easy, chic summer beauty.
All four styles are built upon Gui’s “texture foundation” which is achieved with just two products and a blow dryer: l’Oreal Perfect Texture Spray, to take the hair from clean to sexy, and Oribe Texturing Spray used throughout the styling as well as in place of a finishing spray for touchable texture.
LOOK 1: ROCK STAR TEXTURE
1. Rough-dry the hair, using fingers to work the l’Oreal Perfect Texture Spray into the hair, scrunching and bending the hair till dry.
2. Using a 1 1/2 inch curling iron, wrap hair no higher than mid-shaft to ends very lightly to create movement (not curl).
3. Finish with Oribe Texturizing Spray and finger toss.
This is definitely cool girl hair. With so much movement going on, keep your make up routine simple with beautiful skin and an equally cool girl lip color. Try Sephora Collection Perfection Mist to blur imperfections and control shine and Burt’s Bees Lip Crayon in Hawaiian Smolder.
Look 2: TEXTURED BUN
1. Gather hair at crown and create ponytail using a Metahooks Ponytail Hook.
2. Wrap hair around the ponytail and secure a couple large pins. This bun is not only simple to do but perfect for the hottest of summer days. And when it’s that hot who wants a face full of make up? It’s time for the two-product face: use Kevyn Aucoin The Creamy Glow in Tansoleil on eyes, lips and cheeks and finish eyes with the new lash multi-tasker, Roller Lash, by Benefit.
Look 3: TEXTURED SIDE FISHTAIL
1. Bring hair out to one side and split in half top-to-bottom.
2. Grab piece from back of each section and bring to front wrapping over each preceding piece.
3. Continue down length of hair and secure ends with a small ponytail holder. Remember to keep the braid on the tighter side, you can loosen and make messy after, if the braiding is tight.
This braid brings just the right amount of bohemian to summer dinners or cocktail parties. Keep the bohemian vibe going with beautifully nude make up like Aerin Weekday Pallete on eyes and Tom Ford Lipstick in Sable Smoke on lips.
Look 4: TEXTURED PONYTAIL
1. Pull the hair back with your fingers (not a brush).
2. Using Metahooks Ponytail Hooks, secure the pony.
3. Using a thin piece of hair from under the pony, wrap around to hide the tie, and fix with a pin.
4. Create volume thru the hair all the way to ends. This look is your ultimate summertime red carpet moment. It’s chic and dramatic, calling for equal face drama. Channel your inner JLo and break out your favorite bronzer. We love Charlotte Tilbury’s Beach Stick in Ibiza and Make Up Forever’s Lab Shine Diamond Collection lip gloss in D16 Beige.
-Written by Garret Gervais